Kent & Medway Complex Autism Service
Kent and Medway Complex Autism Service (KAMCAS) is a commissioned specialist health service which offers an alternative to in-patient, out of area treatment for adults with complex autism and/or behaviour that challenges across Kent and Medway. The service works alongside other health services such as Community Mental Health Teams and Social Services, providing an integrated and person-centred service.
KAMCAS primary aim is to ensure adults with Autism can live within their own communities and to prevent admission to secure settings (e.g. hospitals and prisons)
We achieve this through providing:
- Assessment and development of person-centred intervention and support packages
- Consultation and advice to existing carers, services, and support networks
- Provision of outreach support to individuals with Autism and their support networks within the community (family home, supported living, residential services)
- When the risk of serious harm to self/others or admission to secure services has been reduced, clients will typically be transferred back to secondary services for any remaining ongoing care and support needs.
KAMCAS acceptance criteria (all 3 must be met):
- Individuals who have a primary diagnosis of Autism (without Intellectual Disability).
- Individuals for whom local social services and health provision have been unable to meet their needs.
- Individuals who are being considered for discharge from hospital or release from prison or unable to retain their place in the community due to significant risk in the medium term (9 months) of:
- Conviction or court disposal
- Suicide or severe harm to self or others.
Referrals are only accepted from secondary services (Community Mental Health Teams, Social Services)
We cannot accept referrals from GPs.
Kent & Medway Complex Autism Service Out of Hours
KAMCAS Out of Hours Autism Service (KAMCAS OOH) aims to provide consultation to professionals working with autistic adults who are in crisis
KAMCAS OOH crisis service is available via an automatic-answerphone system
Calls received are returned within a 2-hour window; between 17.00-22.00 Monday to Friday; and 14:30-22:00 Saturday and Sunday; Please call: 01732 792044
Kent and Medway Complex Autism Service (KAMCAS) Out of Hours
was introduced as an extension of the KAMCAS day team to provide autism specialist support to mainstream professional Out of Hours services
- to provide support to clients and their support networks, including families and carers
- to support people being discharged into the community
The objective is to help avoid placement in restrictive, institutional or specialist residential environments where possible
This service has a particular focus on the 18–25-year-old transition period
Examples of professional agencies we work with and that may seek our support and expertise:
- MH Crisis Team
- KCC Social Care OOH
- OOH GP
- Psychiatric Liaison
- CAMHs OOH
- Adolescent Service OOH
- Liaison and Diversion Service
Limited crisis support directly to individuals and their families already known to the wider KAMCAS service is being developed